Coloradans for Reliable Electricity cares about our energy future and know that a robust electric grid supports economic prosperity, a diverse energy supply, and allows for innovation and technology to thrive.
We have worked hard to promote creative energy solutions, which has contributed directly to an exciting transformation. Our members should take notice of one such effort in Colorado.
Xcel Energy’s Our Energy Future, offers a new and innovative approach to modern energy management that strives to give consumers more choices and greater control while harnessing the power of emerging technologies among a dynamic network of energy resources. This new effort takes important steps toward fulfilling the energy needs of our future while keeping costs affordable and electricity reliable for consumers.
In partnership with leading companies such as Panasonic, the effort seeks to advance pioneering technologies that will put our state at the forefront of energy innovation. Highlights of the plan for Colorado include:
- Improving emerging technologies for residential and business use. New Innovative Clean Technology (ICT) pilot programs are commencing in partnership with Panasonic and other area companies to strengthen electric battery efficiency and reliability. The projects are but a first step toward supporting exciting new trends in development.
- Offering solar for homes. With the introduction of Solar*Connect and improved community solar garden options, Coloradans can benefit from a new, cost-based solar choice program that will offer customers a choice to sign up for 100 percent solar power and add a substantial amount of solar generation to the energy mix.
- Developing an Intelligent Grid. Later this year, Xcel Energy will craft a plan for developing an advanced energy infrastructure with a focus on interactive meter technology that seeks to improve customers’ choices and control of their energy use.
- Addressing environmental needs. Xcel Energy has announced its multipronged approach for ongoing environmental stewardship while giving consumers greater choices in energy generation and storage. Recently extended federal tax incentives will also result in the exploration of additional renewable resources at competitive prices for energy customers.
- Increasing choices, maintaining affordability. As Xcel Energy explores and expands pioneering energy offerings, the company also will be actively working to ensure costs are affordable and equitable for all Colorado customers. That includes working with the Colorado Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and undertaking an effort to lock in low natural gas prices to provide long-term predictable rates.
Read more and offer for your support of the initiative here, and stay tuned for updates from Coloradans for Reliable Energy as these innovative efforts unfold. This comprehensive approach promises to bring many benefits—for consumers, for Colorado’s economy, for our collective energy future.